Skip to content

Mason’s First Florida State Game

October 16, 2010

Mason and his popcorn

My boss offered me some tickets to Florida State vs. Boston College on Friday afternoon.  After receiving them I checked online to see where the seats were located.  They were on the alumni side of the field, on the 50 yard line, 25 rows from the field. I never had such great seats to a game and I was excited!

Since the weather has cooled off I figured it would be a great time to take Mason to his first ‘Noles game.  This morning I packed him some snacks, loaded up the car and we made our way over to Tallahassee.  We met up with my friend from work Joe and his son.  They had tickets in our same section and we took in the game day atmosphere as we walked towards Doak Campbell Stadium.  Unlike the other two games I have been to this season there was some energy in the air. Parking lots that had been empty were jammed with cars and tailgating had picked up. 

There was a huge line of people waiting to get into the stadium and our hopes of making it inside before kickoff were dashed. The cause of the log jam was that instead of taking and ripping tickets they now scan them with a handheld reader.  This is a lot slower and often does not read on the first time. 

Mason and me in front of the Unconquered statue

We eventually made it inside and before heading to our seats made a stop at the concession stand.  I ordered a tub of popcorn and a large coke.  I knew that it would be hard to carry a toddler, a coke and food to our seats so before leaving the house grabbed an empty plastic bag. I placed the tub of popcorn in it, looped it around my arm and had my hands free for Mason and the coke. Wicked smart on my part.

The score was 3-0 B.C. by the time we sat down.  The seats were phenomenal and Mason was very well-behaved. He sat in his own chair with the popcorn on his lap taking in the atmosphere.  The people around it thought he was adorable and got a kick when he did the chop.  Mason made it through two quarters and then stood up on his seat and faced the crowd of people behind us. He waved his hand, said “Bye-bye!” and asked for momma and Jules. I knew it was time to leave and we headed out with the ‘Noles leading. 

By the time we made it to the car Mason was exhausted.  I buckled him in his car seat and as we listened to the game on the radio he fell asleep.  He was full of popcorn, a little sun burned and content. I had a lot of fun taking Mason to his first FSU game and I am looking forward to taking him (and his little sister when she gets bigger) to many more! Go ‘Noles!

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: