Skip to content

One of Those Crazy People

November 25, 2011

Every year Black Friday sales start earlier than the year before.  Stores used to open at 5 a.m., then 3 a.m. then midnight.  This year the sales kicked off on Thanksgiving at 10:00 p.m.  By 2020 I expect stores to open at 1:00 p.m. and a turkey dinner will be served.  Unlike in years past where I wanted to run out to get a camera, computer or Christmas tree there was nothing I was intent on grabbing.  After we got back from Nassau County I sat down and picked through the flyers.  We wanted to get the kids a little play kitchen set as their big gift and I found one on sale at Toys R Us for $69.   I aslo found a Powerwheels car at Wal-Mart for $99.

Instead of heading to bed and getting up early I took a shower, brewed a pot of coffee and pointed the car towards Tallahassee.  I was one of those crazy people shopping on Thanksgiving. I arrived at Wal-Mart at 10:00 p.m., the time their Black Friday deals began.  The parking lot was jammed and when I entered the store it looked like a looting scene out of Hurrican Katrina.  People pushed overflowing carts full of everything from Blu-ray players to DVD’s to toys.  I asked one guy where he found the Powerwheel Jeep.  He told me it was near the back of the store but that “I didn’t need to go back there, it’s crazy.”

I ignored his advice and meandered my way through the human river.  When I got to the back of the store it was destroyed. Shelves were cleared and the specials stacked in the middle were gone.  I saw one woman walk by with 5 tupperware containers that were on sale stacked under her chin with one more in each hand.  Seeing that I was clearly late to this party I made my way out towards the car through the Garden Center.  The door leading to the outside was locked but I found the motherlode of Powerwheels. They were stacked 3 deep.  Unfortunately they were only 6 volts instead of the 12 volts we were looking for.

My next stop was Toys R Us.  The parking lot was jammed and I had to circle for a space.  Unlike some stores that open the doors and let a flood of humanity through the doors Toys R Us took a more orderly approach. They allowed a certain number of people in and then made everyone else line up.  By the time I pushed my buggy in line it stretched down the side of the building and 1/2 way into the parking lot.  I waited 1 1/2 hours before I walked through the door. Once inside I grabbed 1 of 3 remaining kitchen sets.  I also picked up a 12 volt Powerwheel Mustang that was on sale.  With these two items I made my way towards the check-out.  It took almost 30 minutes to make it to the register.  After paying I picked up the Powerwheel and made the drive back to Monticello.  I did not get home until almost 2:00 a.m.  I was tired, but happy I had picked up a couple of good deals for the kids.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: