Skip to content

Tomorrow I’m Sleeping In

January 23, 2012

Unlike most mornings I was up nice and early at 6:15 a.m.  I was also in a moderately pleasant mood, which was odd since I am not a morning person.  While Becky got ready in her bathroom I fed the dogs, packed lunches and made coffee.  I even had time to iron my clothes, take a shower and shave.  With all of the small things taken care of by 7:00 a.m. I figured we would be out the door earlier than usual, and I could get a nice parking spot at work.

Miss Julia was up by 7:10 a.m. and Becky picked her clothes out.  She was ready to roll in a few minutes and raced into the kitchen.  When I arrived she was trying to climb into her high chair.  I plucked her from the floor and filled her table with some Cheerios.  She happily ate and tossed some onto the floor for Molly our dachshund while I went and woke Mason up. He was curled up in a ball at the foot of our bed with his Pooh bear.  Usually it is a struggle to get him ready, but he woke up fairly easily, and after washing him up got him dressed.  It was 7:20 and both kids were dressed.  This was some sort of Bonfanti record.

Of course just as I thought we were ahead of schedule the wheels fell off.  Miss Julia appeared with her hair bow gone and one shoe missing.  “Mason, where is Julia’s shoe? Have you seen it?” I asked as we scoured the living room, dining room and kitchen.  We found her bow under a dining room chair, and her shoe under the edge of the dishwasher.  With Miss Julia fully dressed I grabbed her and made my way to the front door.  “Daddy, I want something to eat. Can I please have some apple sauce?” Mason asked looking at me with his big green eyes.  I unloaded my arms of Monday morning day care provisions and grabbed him an apple sauce.

He smiled and watched me pick up his back pack; a gallon of milk; my coffee cup; my lunch; my man bag; a fistful of mail and his sister.  We were ready to go and it was still kind of early! I pushed the screen door open with my foot and kept Jackson from running back inside.  “Daddy, can I have a cereal bar?” I heard a little voice call from inside. Seriously? I told him to wait a minute as I unlatched the front gate, and loaded Miss Julia with the other items in my arms into the car.  I ran back into the house and handed him a cereal bar.  “Daddy, I love you with all my hearts! Hold me!” he said as he smeared blueberry cereal bar onto his face.  With the little man in my arms I shut the door and panicked.  Where were my keys? I did the four-pocket pat down and thankfully discovered them in a rear pocket.

Disaster averted, I loaded Mason up and realized I left my wallet in the kitchen hutch.  It was pushing 7:40 and visions of a sweet parking spot evaporated.  I grabbed my wallet, and we were finally ready to leave.  “Daddy, where is my Tiger baby? I need Tiger baby.” Tiger baby could be in a hundred different places including his bed, our bed, under either bed, or stuffed in a drawer.  “Do you really need Tiger baby bud?” He replied with a yes, and I raced back into the house.  After a concentrated search I found Tiger baby on the far side of his bed under his night stand.

It was finally go time and we made the short drive to his big boy school.  I walked him in and hung up his backpack and jacket.  I turned to leave and he latched onto my leg with tears in his eyes. “Daddy, I want to go home and be with momma. I don’t want to be at big boy school. I’m ready to go home now.” I squatted down and wrapped him in my arms.  He eventually calmed down and after wiping his eyes, and nose with a tissue I told him momma would pick him up.  He watched me leave as he clutched Tiger baby.  I felt horrible as leaving your unhappy child at a place he does not want to be is one of the worst things in the world.

By the time I got to Miss Cherrie’s house the clock was dangerously close to getting stuck behind a school bus time.  I handed Miss Julia off to her and left the milk on the counter.  She waved at me and I raced off only to get stuck behind someone going 35 mph on a road with a 55 mph speed limit.  I waited for a chance to pass the guy in the Mazda Miata and gunned it.  I bounded over the Lake Miccosukee bridge and past the school bus that was waiting to turn into my lane.  The Miata man was not as lucky, and tomorrow morning I vowed to sleep until at least 7:00 a.m.

One Comment leave one →
  1. Meredith permalink
    January 28, 2012 9:57 am

    Next time, you bring him over to my house to play for the day!! No more crying at school…I won’t allow it! : )

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: